A replacement handle for a Gaggia Portafilter.
Currently a work in progress - I thought I would share this version while I test it for durability myself.
I've printed mine as a draft, at 0.4 layer height with a 20% infill, but also 5 perimeters, which ensured that the business end of the portafilter was almost solid, while the handle end was not wasting plastic. It feels very solid in use, although a little lighter than the original.
I used a raft - but use your judgement as my raft did leave the ends blemished (see improvements below).
I would recommend printing in ABS. As I've only had my printer a week I dont have any ABS myself yet and I printed in black PLA. It works fine, but I don't think this will last for long given the heat generated.
The current design fits very very snugly - expect to apply pressure when fitting. You wont need glue for the end cap, but you might need a light sanding. I'll probably make a future version a little less snug.
When printing, print the handle with the flared end on the bed. You will need supports for the inner cavity. For the end cap, print either way up, however I would recommend printing with the small end on the bed, using supports, to give the end an unblemished finish.
I do expect to improve this version with the following
1. Slightly less tight fit
2. more of an edge on the flare of the handle, to allow cleaner removal of a raft.
To take apart your portafilter, you will need a 10mm socket set, with an extender. There is an end cap on the original handle which covers a screw approx 8cm deep.
Update : Ive used the handle for about two weeks now and it worked out great. PLA seems to handle the heat fine,although for long term use I still think ABS would be better.
Ive made two improvements
1. Removed a small mesh error
2. Added a little length on the handles flare, to allow for a better edge to be printed.
I decided not to loosen the fit. The handle feels great in the hand as is - whereas the original always had a slight looseness to it. I prefer this fit. However, if you think it may be too tight and dont want to sand a little, increase the scaling to 101-102% for a slightly looser fit.