My original thing was deleted - here is an amended upload.
I wanted a "particular look" for my 4x Santa - if that's possible...
Took bits and pieces from various 4x figure-based sources and combined them (thanks everyone for your hard work). Skimbal's 4x figure was the main basis.
The beard from KySyth did not print too well and I had to use some filler and paint to complete it, but it'll do for now.
You can maybe try RetroRocketUK's 5x beard: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2675661 (scale to 80% for a 4x figure).
I may also try jolyrogr's beard version to see if that works better for me, found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2432524
All-in-all, turned out pretty much the way I wanted!
I will be re-printing the legs, to do black boots and red tops (filament swap halfway up the legs). I'll also try and re-print the body section, to include a black belt at the bottom of the body before the main body starts printing red (again, filament swap); will add a gold buckle if I can find something suitable on Thingiverse :)
Once my CR-10 S4 arrives, I'll be looking at doing an 8x version to match the size of the printed Nutcrackers I did...will also try and put together a Christmas Elf or two to match...
I re-printed the boots and hips, using black for the boots and doing a filament swap to red at about 42% (a couple of layers above the lower back leg hole) - turned out well.
Re-printed the hips as the original ones I printed were the older pin-fit-from-inside type from a different maker - Skimbal's legs/hips are fine and attach to the body without issues.
I'm rubbish with 3D design software - instead of re-printing the body with filament swops for the black belt, I've experimented with:
1. printing a black belt, based on incident's Action Calibration Bar (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:74996), setting Simplify3D scaling to:
X = 185.00 mm
Y = 4.80 mm
Z = 0.60 mm
I threaded the long black belt section under,through and over the center buckle bit until it was equal length on each side. Then used a few dabs of superglue to attach the belt to the body, a couple of mm from the white surround section on the lower body; trimmed the belt section to the right length once it was glued - turned out great!
Will upload some updated photos when I can.
I will be printing jolyrogr's beard version next, to replace the current beard section (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2432524) then will be adding RetroRocketUK's Santa Toy Sack (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2675661) in the next few weeks or so, but have to get the scale right to fit the hand grip, as Simplify3D either sees it's scale as enormous or extremely tiny...
I printed jolyrogr's beard version today - as indicated in his thing, it's in progress and needs some work - however, it turned out quite well; I printed at 710% and duplicated the part, printing the top half and the bottom half together, then gluing - you could use supports, but the print time is vastly increased and filament wasted; if I had a dual extruder, it would make sense to use full supports. By printing the top/bottom half and gluing, no support is needed only light sanding required to hide the join.
At 710% the fit is too tight for the head to fit flush with the inner beard and the curvature where the head touches the inner beard base is not quite correct on the part, so I got out the Dremel and using a small ball sander, sanded down the inner piece so that the base of the head part would fit correctly. Looks a bit of a mess in the photo, but it does the job - the inside is not seen in any event.
Additionally, the beard ring piece that should fit on the head/neck part is way too small; at 710% print size, this allows you to whittle away the inner plastic of the ring to the diameter of the neck, leaving 2-3mm of the ring intact. This is just enough to allow fitting fit over the neck part and allow the beard to fit flush against the face (once you've done the above works on the curvature). So per jolyrogr, this part would need some work to avoid doing the above. I think if it was printed at 715% or 720%, it may fit better, but the curvature fit and ring size is still not quite correct.
To note that if you don't correct the neck-ring size, then the beard will go over the body post that the head sits on, but the beard is then too low on the face - if you have a blank head then it should be fine, but if like me you use the innie head with the mouth, then the mouth sits above the mustache section.
That aside, this beard and addition of the belt/buckle makes my Santa look so much more like Santa! Very happy with the result.
Just printing the Santa Toy Sack in green, and will add some final photos when it's all complete.
...I will try and create an Elf or two, or matching Mrs. Claus for my next project. Roll on Christmas!
Printed the Toy Sack in green - turned out well, although the fit in the hand was not tight enough - I printed at 700%, so probably use 725%-750% for a good fit - I used 2 small strips of painter's tape on top of each other and over the handle; it now fits snug in the hand.
Added a mug in green - I used SE_2018's Bunch Of Cups thing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2835593
My Santa Claus is now complete!
Mrs. Claus is also complete and I've included a picture of them together.
Mrs Claus can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2843428
The matching elves, Bernard and Twinkle, can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2880258