I searched and searched for a 2.5" external multiple module HDD under-counter mount, but alas couldn't find anything suitable...so I created my own.
I'm still learning 3D design using Sketchup, so this was a bit of a challenge at first, however the design, fitting and sizing turned out perfect!
I wanted to be able to mount 3 of my external Toshiba Canvio Basics 2.5" HDDs under a shelf above my PC box, but they also needed to:
- have a universal backplate to stop the drives from sliding straight through the other side,
- ensure I could use other similar brand drives when needed (the USB connectors seem to have different locations on all the various brands),
- had to stack below each other without any contrived attachment methods, additional screws/nuts/bolts, etc. and
- be easy to add or remove in situ without tools.
The result is a slide on modular system, where only the top-most module (Toshiba_Canvio_Basics_2.5-inch_HDD_Modular_Holder_Upper.stl) is screwed to the under-counter/shelf with 4 regular chipboard screws - theoretically any number of lower modules (Toshiba_Canvio_Basics_2.5-inch_HDD_Modular_Holder_Lower.stl) could be added to make the holder as big or small as needed. You could also theoretically scale up for 3.5" external drives, however the wall thicknesses would increase.
ABS or PLA?
I've just finished setting up and fine tuning my new Creality CR-10S4; I was going to print this in ABS as a first print, but as we are in the middle of winter now and the garage temperatures during the day max out at 15'C with the heating on, and I don't have an enclosure yet, I decided to print in PLA instead.
I HAVE NOT TESTED WITH ABS SO CANNOT CONFIRM IF THE TOLERANCES WOULD WORK.
The settings I used are listed below, however I did bump up the infill % to ensure that the modules were solid - that said, they should be more than strong enough to hold up to 10 HDD's comfortably, maybe more.
I designed the slide-in sections with very tight tolerances, so they can be a bit tight to fit using hands alone - use a rubber mallet to gently coax them if needed. Being tight, they won't come apart easily or move when adding or removing the drives themselves. The modules do however easily slide onto the screw-mounted upper module, without a mallet, i.e. by hand only.
If you want easier "slide action" on the modules themselves, a bit of sanding will allow them to slide together and apart more easily, maybe even some vaseline or light grease if required - always test fit the modules before attaching to the under-counter space.
I mounted the first module with a few rubber washers from some PC fan kits I had, adding them between the upper module and the wood shelf to absorb any potential vibrations, etc.
For my first "real" design, it turned out really well - they are practical, functional and also look good.
The SKP file is also included, should you wish to improve or adjust the dimensions.
Comments and feedback welcome!