Starrley hexapod is derivative of Vopal hexapod. Our design is nest and compact which means it has less time to print one set. The board we use makes the wiring and assembly more easier. With internal battery charging circuit, you don't need to remove the battery for charging. To control and play, you can use the original gamepad of Vopal hexapod or the battery rechargeable gamepad we design as shown in the demo video. Starrley and Vopal are different in shape but are functionally the same. Information in Vorpal wiki can mostly apply to Starrley as well.
To build Starrley you need following components:
Arduino sketches on github - opens and uploads
The connection of components to the board as followings
* front right hip servo -> D9
* front right leg servo -> D8
* front left hip servo -> D10
* front left leg servo -> D11
* mid right hip servo -> D6
* mid right leg servo -> D4
* mid left hip servo -> D7
* mid left leg servo -> D5
* back right hip servo -> D3
* back right leg servo -> D2
* back left hip servo -> D13
* back left right servo -> D12
here is a good tutorial for understanding potentiometer
* VCC - > 5V pin
* Signal -> A3
* Gnd -> Gnd
to Play -
* Turning potentiometer knob clockwise to the position pointing TST label, Starrley will perform demo mode as shown 1st video;
* Turning the knob clockwise and pointing to RC label, Starrley can be controlled by the gamepad as 2nd video does. Before that, the HC-05 (in master mode) of gamepad and the one (slave mode) in Starrley needs to pair up together . To do that brings it and gamepad as close as possible, then turns both power to on. It will take few seconds. When paring is successfully, gamepad is ready to drive Starrley. Pressing the joystick you will see Starrley to move.
Connects 5V power source to the USB port, you will see LED red light while charging. When charging finishes, the LED will be green.